Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Apollo Academy Book Deal Details!

Hey Y’all!

So I promised ALL the details about my recent publishing announcement. If you missed it, Escape Publishing/Harlequin Australia, has picked up the rights to The Apollo Academy! For those of you who follow my blog regularly, you’ll know what a long process and turn about this announcement is for me.  After signing with an agent and receiving an offer, I decide that self publishing The Apollo Academy was the right direction for me. Because of that decision, I’ve been able to publish the book of my heart on my own schedule and retain total control and rights. Since making that decision, The Apollo Academy has hit the Amazon Science Fiction Romance BestSeller (In fact, it stayed there for over two months. Thank you!)  and has received an Honorable Mention Award from Writer’s Digest. 

So why then did I decide to sign a book deal? I certainly didn’t anticipate this change. While writing book 2 and continuing to market The Apollo Academy, I began to realize how lonely being an Indie author could really be. I didn’t plan to change any of that….until I kept stumbling across books (Scarlett Dawn Evermore Series for example) that I fell in love with. Books that were exactly what I wanted to read because they were a little bit of everything. Romance/Fantasy/Paranormal/Science Fiction. As an author I tend to notice who or how a book has been published.  After a few similar books, I  began to notice a pattern…..Escape Publishing. Intrigued I went to their website and was impressed with what I found. Escape felt so fitting for me and The Apollo Academy. They wanted books that couldn’t be defined to one genre. Books that broke boundaries. When I realized they accepted self published titles, I thought Why not?  What’s the worst that could happen? 

8 weeks later I received an offer. 

Now some of you may be wondering why I signed this contract and not the first one? The main reason…different contract, different experience, different wants, different editors/people. I won’t go into the details of the first offer I received, but I will say it wasn’t as favorable as the one I just signed. 
The other big difference….this time around I no longer felt I needed as much control. I’d already done everything I’d set out to do with The Apollo Academy and wanted a final home for the series. 

What does this mean for The Apollo Academy? The Apollo Academy has been temporarily pulled from Amazon, B&N, and iTunes.  In the upcoming months, it will go through another round of copy edits. Escape/Harlequin will re-release the book again into the wild sometime January 2015. We may get a new cover??? We may see new marketing campaigns???

What does this mean for Books 2, 3, 4? If all goes according to plan, books 2, 3, and 4 will be published in 6-9 month increments after the re-release of The Apollo Academy.  
I know signing this deal has delayed the release of the second book longer than I originally planned (I'm sorry!), but I know it will be worth it!

Feel free to ask specific questions in the comments below.

Love,
Kim

3 comments:

  1. No questions, just excited for ya!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering - will those of us who bought your original book automatically get an updated version of the edited version when it is rereleased with your new publisher?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia,

    First of all, thank you for reading The Apollo Academy and for following along on my blog! <3
    The version of The Apollo Academy that you have will be 99% the same book that will be re-released by my publisher. The book will go through a second round of copy edits to ensure that anything that wasn’t caught the first time around has a chance to get fixed before being re-released. (For example, misspelled word, misplaced comma, etc.) We may see a new book cover and re-formatting to match Escape/Harlequin’s style, but nothing that will impact the story line. This is just what happens when a book is picked up by a publisher. I haven’t spoken with them specifically about this particular question, but I don’t believe they have any intention or would even be able to facilitate sending out an updated version. If that changes, I’ll let you know!

    I do plan to have a give away for those of you who originally purchased The Apollo Academy in the upcoming months. (It will be a chance to win the second Apollo Academy novel for free!)

    xoxoxo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete