Monday, May 19, 2014

Team Kimberly #1: REVERSE

Title: REVERSE
Genre: YA SCI-FI
Word Count: 80,000

Query:


REVERSE is an 80k YA Sci-fi in the vein of BIG BANG THEORY meets BENJAMIN BUTTON.

Normal after school jobs are overrated, so seventeen-year-old Arden Varga steals her classmates’ memories and sells them to other students. Who wouldn’t pay top dollar for a night as the homecoming queen? Arden’s making serious bank until someone from her school for science geniuses hacks her mind-uploading app and erases her memories’ greatest hits. Vivid flashbacks rip her out of the present and dump her into past mistakes she never wanted to relive. Those forgotten experiences all feature a boy named Sebastian Cuomo, a rival classmate who breaks into school to do homework and makes even quantum physics sound sexy. Unfortunately he can’t remember her either, but the past reveals they’ve been harboring a secret time manipulation project together…and a secret relationship.

As they team up to investigate how to stop the disruptive flashbacks, who carved out their minds, and what they mean to each other, the hacker uses their secret app to make time itself go backward. With the clock counting in the wrong direction and time keeping Arden in the past longer and longer, she must find the culprit before she’s trapped forever living life in reverse.


First 250:

The problem with stealing other people’s memories is you start to lose the difference between what’s theirs and what’s yours. Luckily, I know how to exploit that—as long as the teachers don’t find out, anyway. Normal after-school jobs are overrated when you have a secret during-school-business.

I flip through a list of cataloged memory files on my mind-uploading app as a line of students snakes away from me, each one wanting to buy a different experience. Charlotte Marion, my partner in crime, doles out numbers as if the students are waiting in line at the deli. Once they receive a number, they disperse across the courtyard and mill about like strangers trying to act normal before they break out in a Flash Mob.

“I need the answers to the Organic Chem homework.” The first customer out of thirty lifts a tablet, revealing a mess of stylus-created scribbles on top of complicated math problems.

Charlotte holds out her palm, indicating ten bucks. The girl shifts her weight from foot to foot, skirt swishing around bare legs. Dark clouds swirl in the washed out sky, turning the mirrored building in front of us into a sheet of gray. Cold and clinical, more like an office building than a high school for science geniuses.

Charlotte nudges my shoulder until my lips pop open. “Number two!” I yell, tapping my stiletto on the concrete path.

The customer hands me the cash, and I get to work selling the girl someone else’s stolen memory.

9 comments:

  1. I love smart girls! And this "turning the mirrored building in front of us into a sheet of gray..." Awesome. Would love to see more sciencey girl protagonists and this fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of this and haven't seen anything like it. I love the idea of playing around with people's memories and that all going awry. Sounds very engaging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love thisl A smart, nerdy protag, time travel, and a hot boy named Sebastian! I need to read this asap please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to see this!

    -Mollie Glick

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see more of this, please! - Emily Gref

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intrigued--I would love to see more!

    Monika Verma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great concept! I'm always looking for new ideas in science-fiction and this sounds like an interesting take on the genre. Your sample pages are instantly intriguing too! If you'd be interested in querying me with this, I'd love to take a look at the first 100 pages!

    ReplyDelete