Thursday, April 17, 2014

NEST PITCH KC6: REALITY STAR

Category/Genre: ADULT Women's Fiction

Word Count: 78,000

Pitch: Disillusioned with life after college, Jen moves into a fishbowl-shaped house for a reality show where 20-somethings compete for $250,000. When she stumbles into a love triangle, Jen must decide what matters most.

If my main character were an easter egg, what flavor would he/she be and why? If Jen were an Easter egg, she’d be chocolate—is there any other kind?

Excerpt:
I clutched a blanket around my shivering body as I huddled at my desk. I held high hopes that management would one day trust employees to turn the heat above sixty degrees. Or would insulate the windows. Meanwhile, I turned up the volume on my computer so I could hear my music over the November storm. I sipped weak coffee from the caffeine molecule mug in my left hand.

With my right hand, I scrolled through my newsfeed, scanning jokes, cartoons, and political statements. Yes, I was on Facebook at work. I know: I’m not supposed to. But everyone does it. Besides, I had nothing to do while my boss reviewed my project. Being a marketing assistant included a lot of waiting. After working twelve-hour days all week to include last minute changes, I’d earned a break.

Guiltily, I peeked at the empty desk behind me. My officemate would’ve been first to tell me to pretend to work, even when I had nothing to do. However, he was out for paternity leave. Our tiny office was all mine for the next few weeks.

Wait a minute. What’s this?

An ad posted by my former Beginner’s Drama professor caught my eye. 


Do you always have to be right? Do you love puzzles and trivia? Are you outgoing, vivacious, and engaging? Do you usually find yourself surrounded by less intelligent people? Do you want to win $250,000? We're looking for smart, spunky 21- to 25-year-olds, for an exciting new reality competition filming this summer! Email Stephanie with your name, age, 2-4 photos, and a little about yourself for more information.

A reality show designed for smart people? Really? 

Voices sounded outside my closed door. I glanced over one shoulder. Being located next to the kitchen had its perks, but it was hard to tell if people were about to burst in on me or had just met to gossip.

No comments:

Post a Comment