Thursday, April 17, 2014

NEST PITCH KC4: THE GIRLFRIEND REQUEST

Category/Genre: YA Contemporary


Word Count: 67,000

Pitch: Emma’s scheme to lure in the adorkable boy-next-door turns into one hot mess as a cute college guy competes for her attention, school queenie’s out for blood, and Emma’s no closer to getting her man.

If my main character were an easter egg, what flavor would he/she be and why?
Emma would be a peanut butter egg, kinda nutty but sweet and way loved.

Excerpt:

He had 247 friends.

Now to add one more to the list.

I’d spent the last two weeks of my life carefully mapping out every piece of the plan. Forethought, strategy, research—it all came down to this very moment.

“It’ll work. You can do this.” I began chanting encouragement to myself as the mouse hovered over the photo of a smiling, perky-looking teenage girl. I gamely tried to ignore the small beads of sweat forming at my hairline and upper lip. This was no time to wuss out. Licking away the salty moisture, I stared at the photo taunting me from the screen of my Dell.

The girl had shiny blonde hair flowing over sun-kissed shoulders peeking out of a cutesy white sundress. Who the hell had hair like that unless she’s in a hot pink package and distributed by Mattel?

Okay, fine. I might be the slightest bit jealous, considering my own unruly mop of plain brown curls. I was about as un-Barbie as you could get. To make it worse, the girl’s smile looked like she’d been born to star in toothpaste commercials. Or, maybe one of those Abercrombie ads where the models always wore perfectly coordinated outfits, and actually had the bod to fill in the cute little shirts instead of looking like a walking ironing board.

I couldn’t stop my gaze from bouncing over to the second open profile in an overlapping window. Just looking at his face grinning back at me caused my pulse to speed up. Like usual.

A quick knock sounded on my bedroom door. Startled, I immediately hit the minimize button while swiveling in my seat just in time to see Dad poke his head in the room.

“Hey, Emma! Your mom and I just got back. How’s the project coming along?”

1 comment: