Monday, October 28, 2013

Trick or Treat K4- DEAD RINGER

Title: Dead Ringer
Category: Adult
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Word Count: 73,000

Pitch: Midori Bishop’s life is hitting all the right notes. She has her dream job playing violin in a professional orchestra and is embarking on a secret relationship with the symphony’s hot maestro. But when a cellist is murdered and the maestro becomes the number one suspect, Midori’s quest to prove the maestro’s innocence prompts the killer to gear up for a grand finale -- with Midori as the intended victim.

Question 1: In your MC's voice, what costumed character do you relate most to and why? I’d say I relate most to Joan Watson from the tv show Elementary. We both solve mysteries, we share a similar sense of style, and we have the same hair!

Question 2: As an author, what makes your manuscript a tasty treat (aka unique/marketable)? The sweet combination of music and murder makes my manuscript a tasty treat.

First 250 Words: 
The cacophony that hit my ears was as familiar as a favorite song. I stood at the top of a set of stairs inside an old church, a faint musty smell tickling at my nose. The still air pressed in around me, a little too warm to be comfortable, but the discordant sounds drew me onward. 

The wooden stairs creaked beneath my feet as I made my way down into the church’s basement. It wasn’t hard to figure out where to go next. All I had to do was follow the clamorous sound of multiple instruments playing out of sync.

With my violin case in one hand and a bag slung over my shoulder, I entered a small gymnasium. The sound of warring instruments came from the stage at one end of the room. Chairs and music stands had been set out in concentric semicircles and about one third of the chairs were already occupied. Some of the people present chatted with one another but most were busy tuning their instruments or warming up by playing
snippets from various pieces.

Three violinists and a violist plucked and bowed while two clarinets and a French horn ran through different melodies. They were almost –but not quite – drowned out by the tuba player, who was by far making the biggest racket of all.

The clashing notes and melodies didn’t bother me in the least. As a violinist in a professional orchestra, this was one of the soundtracks of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Mystery flavored DumDum for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm late to the party, and have no idea which candies are which, but I'd love to see a query, synopsis, and the first 20 pages! Please send to margaret(at)inklingsliterary(dot)com.

    ReplyDelete