Monday, October 28, 2013

Trick or Treat K1- MACHA AND THE RIVER BLUE

Title: Macha and the River Blue
Category: YA
Genre: Contemporary Romance w/ Supernatural Elements
Word Count: 59,000

Pitch: Sixteen year-old Alyona Roseto wants nothing more than to survive her mom-dictated semester abroad in Costa Rica. Attracting two polar opposite guys isn’t part of the plan, and neither is bringing to life an ancient jungle legend. But now a deranged goddess wants her dead, and Diego and Jim just…want her.

Question 1: In your MC's voice, what costumed character do you relate most to and why? Casper – I’m friendly but so don’t want to be the center of attention, hence the plain white sheet.

Question 2: As an author, what makes your manuscript a tasty treat (aka unique/marketable)? Unique presentation (location=Costa Rica), exotic aroma (super hot Latino bad boy), and imaginative, decadent flavor (fresh plot – seriously, none of this was ever covered in any exchange student handbook).

First 250 Words: 
A muffled voice called to me from a distance. “We will be landing in approximately fifteen minutes. Estaremos aterrizando en aproximadamente quince minutos.”
 When did Mom learn to speak Spanish?
“One more minute, Mom.” I hugged my pillow tighter. It was so warm. But then it shook. And spoke.
“Morning, Sunshine.”
My mind spun. Airport. Airplane. Cute guy…crap.
I held my breath hoping I was dreaming or better yet, that I would self-combust. No such luck. Heat swamped my face as I cracked open my eyelids and unwrapped myself from…oh God, what was his name again? Jeff, John?
“Sorry…uh, Jim.” Bingo. I bent my head away, trying to wipe the saliva dribbling from my lip, casual-like.
“It’s okay. I didn’t mind.”
My gaze flicked to his face. Why was he blurry? Dammit. One of my stupid new contacts had floated off my pupil again. I squinted. He sounded sincere, but was he grinning?
I climbed over his legs – careful not to touch him again – and scrambled down the aisle toward the bathroom before the flight attendant could stop me. I flipped the lock and stuck my left eye up to the mirror, slowly massaging my contact back home. These extended wears were an unexpected going-away present from my mom. To let people notice my beautiful bright blue eyes, she’d said. Whatever. I blinked – it was in, good – and took a step back, and cringed. 
This is what Jim was looking at? Sasquatch had better hair days. Urgh.

1 comment:

  1. Rocket Spanish: The Award Winning Product That Gets You Speaking Spanish & Loving Spanish Culture.

    (And the best thing is - it only takes minutes a day)

    ROCKET LANGUAGES was used by over 1.2 million people, just like you, to learn a new language.

    ReplyDelete