Thursday, May 16, 2013

That time I turned down a pub offer for Indie!

I made one of the hardest and scariest decisions of my life last week....

I turned down a publishing offer and decided to self publish instead.

So I'm sure a lot of you are thinking this right now:
And that's okay, sometimes I think I'm crazy for doing this too. But mostly I feel brave, relieved, and so incredibly hopeful. This wasn't a decision I made easily or one I even had to make alone. I made it with my family, friends, and agent behind me. 


I can't think of a more exciting time to go Indie. The publishing world is changing and maybe I'll be a part of that. The snark between "Big Publisher" and "Indie" supporters needs to stop. There is no one right way, only the right way for YOU. And under different circumstances, I could see myself making a different decision.

Here's how this all came about:
Getting published is what I've dreamed about for the past two years. The reason why I searched for an agent and went out on submission. I always knew going Indie was an incredibly wonderful option, but I also believed in publishing houses and all they had to offer. Still Do.

I couldn't have possibly foreseen my decision until I was presented with it.

No one really talks about the submission process and that's probably because it's an emotional roller coaster. One I knew I couldn't ride for very long. If you want a rundown on how I was during this time, click here.

While I was out on submission, New Adult hit the market big. Most of you don't know this, but my main characters in The Apollo Academy were originally 18,19, and 22. And because that wasn't a sell-able genre, I made the decision to change my story for a younger age group.

At some point, I began to wonder if I made a mistake changing my story just so I could have a better chance at selling it. Right when I gathered the courage to talk to my agent about it, I got an email saying an editor wanted to chat about my book. A few days later, we had an offer. I was thrilled! Over the moon! Finally, someone loved my book as much as I did and was willing to put themselves behind it. I have nothing but respect and gratitude for the editor and the offer. They believed in me and The Apollo Academy.

Turning that down was seriously HARD. I actually think saying yes would have been the easier choice. Support. Backing. Prestige. Cover design. Editing. Marketing. But the offer also forced me to really think about what I wanted. And when it came down to it, I wanted a lot of things.

My agent and I spent about 2 hours on the phone thoroughly discussing the pros and cons of both choices. When I got off the phone I knew I had a big decision to make, but it was such a relief knowing that whatever I decided, Brittany would support it. Between her and my husband, I had the strength to say YES to what I thought was best for me.

That doesn't mean I'm not frightened. Sometimes I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew. I worry mostly about the snark I'll receive because people won't understand my decision. Those who will think I was forced into going Indie because I wasn't good enough.

But this IS my choice.

"Don't let fear make your decisions for you. Be insatiable for adventure, passionate about your dreams, and bold in your choices!" (-personal friend of mine)

I hope you all will support me in this new endeavor.

I've spread my wings and now it's time to fly....

The Apollo Academy will release 8/6/2013. It's up on GoodReads, so go add it to your shelf! BONUS: I'll give away a free introductory flight lesson on my blog when we hit 500 adds!

24 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, Kim and I support you 100%! You're brave, smart, and so super talented. Most of all, I know how much you love this book, so it has a strong force behind it. Can't wait to buy my copy!!

    Yay for The Apollo Academy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Kim! You're absolutely right - this is a wonderful time to go Indie and I know you'll do great.I'm proud of you, and I look forward to buying my copy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you! It's going to amazing and I can't wait to read it and help spread the word for this amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very excited for you!!! The book looks amazing, can't wait to buy it! (Or...read it early? PLEASE? *bats eyes*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I'll be waiting to see the book when it comes out. You're right, the choice is hair-raising, but it's your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Best of luck to you : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure hope there's no snark. You'll be keeping more of your own money this way. What's to be snarky about? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on making a huge decision! And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a terrifying choice to make! I'm so glad you have the support of your family and agent, it always helps to have someone to draw strength from as you step into a brave (and terrifying) new world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRATS! Wow, you're amazing, and I can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to you, Kim! I canNOT wait to have your book on my shelf! I'm so proud of you for choosing the best path for you! And I'm super stoked to see where your career goes next!

    Sign me up for helping with promo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! I think it's a really brave choice, and I know exactly what you mean about the age range issue. It's been weighing on my mind for a while now, so good for you for sticking to it and going for what you really wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited for you and your courage is inspiring : ) Can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so awesome Kim! I can't wait to read the book and I applaud your choice in doing the right thing for yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. P.S. Karen is my new blogging partner--hence the change in name. This is Tamara from Against the Falling Moons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish you nothing but the best!!! Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats Kim on a huge decision. There definitely should be more books about women in aviation! Incidentally, did you read Amelia Lost by Candace Fleming? Saw her speak last year and the book sounded wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just wanted to thank you all for your kind words and congratulations! They mean the world to me. <3 you all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am late to the party because I SUCK and have no life lately, but I am so friggin excited for you, girl. I cannot wait to help you pimp the heck outta your book. Woot! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  21. As one of those sub readers I have to secretly say that I am SOOO bummed that I won't get to work with AA because I loved every piece of it!

    I was in a similar situation to you, where I stepped away from pub and went Indie. It was scary and hard, but so much fun. Best of luck, and I can't wait until the book is out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsay! WOW...this is so awesome to hear. Thank you for loving and believing in The Apollo Academy. <33333

      Delete
    2. I'm so excited to read it in its future incarnation! Let me know if you need any help with anything. (Editorial/Street Team/Etc.)

      I'm also working on a community site for Indie fantasy/sci-fi/horror writers to help promote each others' work and for editors and PR professionals to advertise their services. Drop by if you're interested! I'd love to have you there. http://www.epicstrange.wordpress.com (It's still in major Beta)

      <3!

      Delete
    3. Just checked out the site. Sounds like a great place! Feel free to email me more details or how I can help.

      Delete