Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Alternate K12- MOVE

NAME: Ferris Robinson
MENTOR: Heather Webb
TITLE: MOVE
GENRE: Contemp YA
WORD COUNT: 58K

35 WORD PITCH: A wrestling scholarship is the only way George can get away from his unbearable parents. His plans are thwarted when he is the only one alarmed about his sister's sudden weight loss. Isn't anorexia deadly?

FIRST 250: 
I have thirty seconds. My thighs are on fire, but I crouch low to the mat and circle him, moving in and out quickly. I shoot in and grab his leg, then explode up through his
body. Again. And again.

Sweat streams into my eyes, but I couldn't see him clearly even if he was really there. I watch him, my imaginary opponent, as Three Doors Down blasts Kryptonite around my head. If I go crazy now will you still call me Superman? I check the clock behind the basketball goal, and go again.

I lunge so deep my left knee skims the wrestling mat, then spring back after lifting him up. Light on my feet. Smooth. Every ten seconds I power up under him for a take-down.

I move through the chorus – not a single break. My thighs feel like they’ve been boiled.

I'm on my two hundredth shot when Erin Abercrombie suddenly grabs my elbow. I lose my balance, and stumble in the middle of the last take-down. I look at my time; 199 take-downs in twenty minutes. I failed.

She should have warned me. Made a noise. Stomped her fucking Eskimo boots. Something. She's lucky I didn't jab her in the eyeball.

She taps at her ear, and I take my ear buds out.

"What?"

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to let you know I'm here. Didn't want to freak you out if you saw me in the office."

No comments:

Post a Comment