Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Alternate K11- SEMITONE

NAME: Laura Frazier
MENTOR: Andrea Hannah 
GENRE: YA Scifi/Romance
TITLE: Semitone
WORD COUNT: 84,000

35 WORD PITCH: A boy trading places with a parallel world version of himself is caught in a bizarre love triangle when they both fall for the same girl.

FIRST 250:
Chapter 1
The Penny

My first thought: I shouldn’t be here.

The train station was smaller than I expected. Two short rows of benches, a tile floor half-covered in dust. Rusted metal. Graffiti. I shifted my weight, finally letting Lacey’s suitcase drop. The clatter echoed down the single platform, and all I could think was how appropriately pathetic the scenery was.

Because she was breaking up with me.

Again.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “I thought I’d be okay with the long-distance thing. But I’m not.”

My second thought: This is not happening.

My hands grew clammy, and heavy, and suddenly felt very empty. You’d think I would have been used to the routine. But no.

“Andrew? Say something.”

I took a breath. “You didn’t even try.”

“That’s not fair.” She reached for her duffel bag, clutching it against her side. “You’ve been gone so long. You have no idea what it’s like to go to parties alone. And now that I’ll be out of town for most of the summer anyway . . .” She swallowed and looked down at her feet. “I really don’t think it’s right to expect you to sit around and wait for me—”

I would wait. She knew that. I had only told her a thousand times. During late night calls that broke the rules. In texts and emails I sent during class. In the too-short dates over Christmas vacation. I had planned an entire summer of waiting. Alone. While she had her fun in San Francisco. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, I missed this one -- thought I had already commented.
    Please send me the full in a word doc with the query in the body of the email and as page 1 of the manuscript.

    Email: louise@lperkinsagency.com

    ReplyDelete