Monday, October 29, 2012

Trick or Treat #K9 - LIFER

Title: Lifer
Category: YA
Genre: SciFi
Word Count: 82,000

Pitch:
As a servant on a star-ship, sixteen-year-old Asher’s only happiness comes from a secret romance with one of her betters. When he dies mysteriously, she’s left grieving, fighting attraction to his disturbing older brother and working for his crazy mother who wants her to sleep in his shrined bedroom.  Gathering intelligence for the rebellion on the lower levels gives her new purpose, but everything she believes is twisted when she learns her boyfriend might still be alive.

Question 1: In your MC's voice, what costumed character do you relate most to and why?
I walk the ship as a ghost, visible but not seen by my betters. Inside I am dead, a zombie from grief, too numb to feel.

Question 2: As an author, what makes your manuscript a tasty treat (aka unique/marketable)?
The Lifer world is a twisted Downton Abbey in space with rulers and servants and a main character who refuses to be the girl who falls for the bad boy. And there’s a twist that completely changes everything the reader (and characters) thinks they know.

First 200 Words:

I mark my body for Samuai.
                My right hand is steady as I press the slim needle against my skin. It glints under the soft overhead light of the storage locker, the only place to hide on starship Pelican. Row upon row of shelving fills the room. Back here I’m hidden from the door. 
It’s been seventeen days since Samuai passed. Seventeen days of neutral expressions, and stinging eyes, waiting for the chance to be alone and pay my respects in true Lifer fashion. With blood.
                I wrapped the body of the needle in thread I stole from my spare uniform.  The blue thread acts as the ink reservoir. It’s soaked with dye made from crushed feed pellets swiped from farm level. The pungent fumes sting my eyes and make it even harder to keep the tears at bay. But I will. There will be no disrespect in this marking.
                My slipper drops to the floor and I raise my left foot to rest on a cold metal shelf. He always held my left hand when we met in secret, but I can’t bear to examine those memories now. It’s only right that my left side serve as memorial for his life.

5 comments:

  1. DOWNTON ABBEY IN SPACE? That would make an awesome costume! Here, have some skittles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, intriguing! I'll have to pass over a full Cadbury chocolate bar here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starbursts for sci-fi! I'm a huge fan!

    ReplyDelete