Monday, October 29, 2012

Trick or Treat #K8 - THE GRAVES

Title: The Graves
Category: MG 
Genre: Paranormal Mystery 
Word Count: 60,000 

Pitch:
Lonely twelve-year-old Charlie Graves, whose father is a modern-day grave robber, and whose mother is buried in the backyard, spends a lot of time in the cemetery behind his house.  When he stumbles across the body of a young girl, her ghost asks him to help her solve the mystery of her death.  But, Dad’s a prime suspect and time is running out to prove either Dad’s innocent or Charlie’s living with a killer.

Question 1: In your MC's voice, what costumed character do you relate most to and why?
Man, I would totally dress up like a ghost, you know.  Cause I can talk to them, of course. 

Question 2: As an author, what makes your manuscript a tasty treat (aka unique/marketable)?
I think a unique aspect of my story is that Charlie's dad is a modern-day grave robber and could-be killer. 

First 200 Words:
When Dad told me that burying Mom in the backyard wasn’t technically illegal, I believed him.  The Cranbrook County Cemetery was just over the back fence, after all.  Still – all those dead people in the cemetery had nice, fancy headstones to mark their passing.  Mom just had a wooden cross Dad had made from the wood in Rusty’s old dog house.  A dead dog and a dead Mom in the same year?  Sucks for me.

Mom’s death was a secret I didn’t like to keep.  It’s not like Dad killed her or anything.  She’d had cancer.  When the hospital bills wiped out their savings, Dad traded his “wares” for pain pills to a street vendor named Benny.  Mom popped pills like popcorn at the movies and just sort of faded away.  Dad buried her in the backyard, he’d said, because he wanted to keep her close.  I knew it was because we were broke.

Since Grandma and Grandpa had died before I was born, the only person that asked about Mom was her sister, my Aunt Jen. She didn’t come around much, but when Aunt Jen did – Dad banished me to my room so they could “talk."

1 comment: