Monday, October 29, 2012

Trick or Treat #K5 - SINK OR SWIM

Title: Sink or Swim
Category: YA
Genre: Contemporary
Word Count: 82,000

Pitch:
Eighteen-year-old Ayla Rourke has had her eye on Olympic gold since she was a little girl, until a torn rotator cuff threatens to bring all her dreams to a screeching halt. She finds the perfect distraction for her training embargo as a counselor and swim coach at Kilkenny Summer Camp, where she pictures manicures and dance parties, staying up all night for girl talk and gushing about boys. Kilkenny is anything but what she imagined and when she finds herself falling for a very talented, very good-looking, and very off-limits counselor named David, Ayla gets the distraction she wanted, though it might be more than she bargained for.

Question 1: In your MC's voice, what costumed character do you relate most to and why?
I relate most to Aquaman, because he rules the water and so do I. 

Question 2: As an author, what makes your manuscript a tasty treat (aka unique/marketable)?
Sink Or Swim is a tasty treat because it's about a girl who wants to be anything but normal and will do whatever it takes to make her dreams come true. 

First 200 Words:

“Did Coach say why he wants to see you?” Maureen, my best friend since kindergarten, asked as we sat together in Coach’s office, waiting for him. I didn’t answer Maureen right away, watching the snow falling softly outside instead.

“No,” I finally said. “Just that it was important.”

A hard knot settled in the pit of my stomach and dread washed over me, making me nauseous. A few months ago my shoulder started to hurt. At first it was nothing, just a twinge during a hard set or an ache after a meet. I swam through it. Now, it was constant agony. Every time I tried to lift my arm there was a stab of pain so sharp, it made my eyes water. Coach finally begged me to go in for an MRI, and the results were in.

“There she is,” Coach said with a smile, sweeping into the office like a force of nature with a huge manila envelope in his hands. I narrowed my eyes; his lips were pressed together a little too tightly, his whole face was actually a little pinched, and his grip on the envelope was sure to ruin the test results inside. My heart sank.

3 comments:

  1. Jem gives Aquaman/woman a WATERmelon starburst. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hermione gives you a bag of mini jolly ranchers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hermione gives you a bag of mini jolly ranchers!

    ReplyDelete