Monday, October 29, 2012

Trick or Treat #K3 - ANOMALY

Title: Anomaly 
Category: YA
Genre: Fantasy
Word Count: 80,000

Pitch:
Fifteen-year-old Maya is the Yearbook Club nobody, the girl behind the camera documenting the lives of everyone cooler than her. A genetic glitch turns her into an unstable teleporter and she finds that being the main focus exposes nothing but trouble. When a series of bad decisions leave her friendless, boy-less, and strips her new-found ability, Maya must rely on her camera and her wits to prevent an international crisis at the G8 Summit in London.

Question 1: In your MC's voice, what costumed character do you relate most to and why?
I'm basically the female version of Peter Parker. I may not fly around in a red and blue suit, but it's just me and my camera trying to figure out boys, oh and this new teleportation ability.

Question 2: As an author, what makes your manuscript a tasty treat (aka unique/marketable)?
People pay hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office to watch movies about super heroes growing into their own skin. Readers who enjoyed Perry Moore's HERO or Holly Black's WHITE CAT, will see the flip side in ANOMALY, a story of a female character struggling to be a teen, but also trying to understand and control her unique ability of teleportation.

First 200 Words: 
I was born to stand out, but I always seem to fade into the background.
            The picture frame with the words Friends Forever etched across the border holds a photo of Rachel, me, and Michael sandwiched in a hug on the last day of freshman year. Michael’s arms are so long they easily wrap around both of us. It’s so obvious that he likes her, even though I know he’s too shy to admit it. I can tell by the way his fingers dig into the fabric of her cheerleading uniform, clinging, not wanting to let go. The way his eyes angle towards her face as if the rest of the world doesn’t exist. As if I don’t exist.
            I cover Rachel’s image with my thumb, and convince myself, for a moment, that it’s just Michael and me. I remember how he smelled that day—like charcoal pencils and fabric softener. When I pull my thumb away reality kicks me in the butt…again. Best Friend #1, the cutest guy I’ve ever known, is in love with Best Friend #2, homecoming queen. And then there’s me, Yearbook Club nobody, the girl behind the camera documenting the lives of everyone cooler than her.

2 comments:

  1. Hermione gives you a bag of skittles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cherry lollipop! Loved your pitch language. I'm a "sucker" for puns :)

    ReplyDelete