Monday, October 29, 2012

Trick or Treat #K2 - IMPERFECTLY FINE

Title: Imperfectly Fine 
Category: YA 
Genre: Contemporary 
Word Count: 55,000 

Pitch:
After witnessing her rockstar father's murder, a sixteen-year-old orphan with cystic fibrosis must do the one thing she never suspected: survive. Skylar faces a choice between self-destructive escape and embracing her terminal imperfections. A choice made easier by alluring and lethal Cole, but more complicated by Noah, a fiercely loyal friend with an enigmatic past and an infuriating tenacity for hope.  

Question 1: In your MC's voice, what costumed character do you relate most to and why? 
Like I even need a Dumbo costume when I get to "dress up" twice a day with my nebulizer, this breathing treatment mask that makes me look like I'm part plastic elephant. I kick Naughty Pirate Wench ass without even trying. 

Question 2: As an author, what makes your manuscript a tasty treat (aka unique/marketable)? 
My manuscript gives voice to over 30,000 American children, teens and young adults living with cystic fibrosis, the world's leading life-limiting genetic disease. In a twist on the "dying young" archetype, Skylar outlives the people she loves only to face survivor's guilt on top of her own mortality. 

First 200 Words: 
I'm a friggin' miracle.  

Dad says so twice tonight. First, as I pin the white stephanotis blossoms to the lapel of his tuxedo, then at the reception during our less traditional father-daughter dance. It's his wedding day, not mine. 

In his mind, my craptastic lungs, toothpick frame and piss-poor immune system make me miraculous. In reality, my broken breathing, salty skin, and spectacular lung infections are symptoms of cystic fibrosis. My body produces thicker mucus than normal. So I get sick. A lot. 

And I'll probably die before I'm thirty. 

Miracle, my ass. 

For now, I pluck a gazillion bobby pins out of Angela's hair. Elaborate, blonde curls tumble down the back of her white linen suit. She does a final makeup check in the honeymoon suite's fancy-pants, gold mirror before we head back to the reception, so she and dad can make their grand exit. There are rumors of a confetti cannon. Dad likes to put on a good show. 

“Skylar, you're absolutely sure you won’t come to Mexico?” Angela asks. 

Not this again. I'm stoked for them, for all three of us, but I'm not down with witnessing two weeks of carnal wedded bliss after a ten year engagement.

1 comment: