Monday, October 29, 2012

Trick or Treat #K13 - DAMSEL DISTRESSED

Title: Damsel Distressed 
Category: YA 
Genre: Contemporary 
Word Count: 60,000

Pitch:
Imogen Keegan gained much when she lost her mother seven years ago: clinical depression, seventy-odd pounds, and a loathing for happy endings. Her swoon-worthy best friend with a big mouth, Grant, lands Imogen in the spotlight of the school musical which gives her jerk-face stepsister ample ammo to "mean-girl" Imogen right into a padded room for good. Tangled up in loss and love, Imogen knows she's got to become more than a cheese-loving nut-job, but her jaded heart will have to get out of the way of her happily ever after

Question 1: In your MC's voice, what costumed character do you relate most to and why?
"Baaaahahahaaa, are you freaking kidding me? I would rather contract ACTUAL rabies from the stray cat that lives behind my house than wear a Halloween costume, so I'll stick to my sweatpants thankyouverymuch... but you can leave the candy." 

Question 2: As an author, what makes your manuscript a tasty treat (aka unique/marketable)?
My manuscript gives a voice to young people who are dealing with the burden of being labeled by society for the things that make them different, specifically, adolescents with clinical emotional/behavioral disorders. 

First 200 Words:
I hate buttoning my jeans.

I would rather skip straight to the inevitable muu-muu phase of my life than try to encapsulate my size 20 ass into this denim prison ever again.

Come on, suck it in.

I'm not really into wishing on stars, but being able to magic my way into my paint-splattered jeans without feeling like a summer sausage would be a pretty good reason for a fairy godmother.

Oh, thank God. Houston, we have closure.

But seriously. The girls in fairy tales—they don't need the help. I mean, why would a completely gorgeous girl have trouble looking fabulous in a dress, or need help getting a handsome prince to take her to the ball anyway? I'm not fooled. Snow White has the attention of seven little men, not because she's the only one who can reach the top of the book shelf, but because she's a porcelain-skinned, ruby-lipped knockout. The little mermaid got a prince because she had to shut her trap for five whole seconds and looks fierce in a bikini. And Cinderella? She's a girl who clearly demonstrates to the prince that she's got lots of experience on her knees, and doesn't mind getting dirty.

Seriously. 

3 comments:

  1. I won't give you rabies, but have a Starburst. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Love your character's combination of caustic humour and endearing vulnerability. A roll of Sweet Tarts!

    ReplyDelete