Monday, October 29, 2012

Trick or Treat #K12 - POINTY EARED FREAK

Title: Pointy Eared Freak
Category: MG
Genre: Humorous Fantasy
Word Count: 36,000

Pitch:
Almost twelve-year-old Natalie has fantasized about a lot of things, but being an elf was definitely not one of them.  So when her ears turn pointy and two elfin ambassadors give her an Elf-vite to their Academy, she doesn't know what to do.  After all, dreaming about the existence of magical worlds is one thing, agreeing to go to one is quite another.

Question 1: In your MC's voice, what costumed character do you relate most to and why?
Even though I didn't even believe in him back when this crazy elf business started, the costumed character I relate to most now is Santa Clause!  I definitely don't relate to those tooth fairies - now that I know they're a carnivorous bunch.

Question 2: As an author, what makes your manuscript a tasty treat (aka unique/marketable)?
Pointy-Eared Freak is a modern twist on the traditional Christmas story and should appeal to kids who are way past the Santa stage, but still enjoy the fantasy.  There's a lot of humor and current cultural references, and an underlying message about fitting in and being yourself.  

First 200 Words:

Walk fast and keep your eyes on the page.  That’s what I tell myself whenever I pass by Blake and the jerks he hangs out with.  I stare at my Percy Jackson book, walk really quickly, and hope he chooses someone else to pick on today.

Luckily my plan works.  But now, because of those annoying boys, I’ll end up getting to music class early.  I dread that music class.  Why? Two words: Mr. Pratt.  Even though we’re in sixth grade now, he treats us like babies and makes us sing the same songs we sang in kindergarten.  Then there’s the hand moves - the embarrassing, mortifying, hand moves.

“Shake your fingers and reach for the stars, people,” he likes to say.

Really?  Will we catch them Mr. Pratt?  I don’t think so.  Maybe if you had spent a little more time reading science books instead of banging on that silly tambourine, you’d realize how ridiculous you sound.  I’d like to tell him this, but of course I don’t.  Instead I try to blend in so he won’t single me out for a solo.

Alicia doesn't know how to blend in . . . at . . all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment