Friday, October 12, 2012

Revisions to Submissions


So, it's been awhile since I've updated everyone on what's happening with me. Two months ago when I announced signing with a literary agent, I began to receive a lot of questions. What's next? What are you up to? When will you be published? What does having an agent even mean? How can you be an author when you can't even spell things right in a text? (HaHa. All I have to say to that one is FB/Twitter/Texts/Emails, and yes, even this blog doesn't count. :) Auto-correct is to blame I say!)

I don't think I've actually answered any of your legitimate questions until now:

The past two months have been filled with hours upon hours sitting in front of my computer. I've neglected my duties as a mom, wife, marketing coordinator (luckily the boss is the hubs) to revise my manuscript until it's so shiny that I can't even look at it. This probably sounds like a lot of time to non-writer people to work on something I've already spent the last year working on, but you'd be surprised at how changing one tiny thing in a book will create a mountain of work. My agent, Brittany, hasn't been easy on me either. Bless her heart, she's never let me get by with just the easy changes. She's pushed me into making changes that have made the manuscript so much stronger. Without her feedback and encouragement, I wouldn't feel as ready to submit as I am today.

Now that I have an agent and a ready-to-submit  manuscript, it's time for me to enter the writing big leagues. A place that I would never have been able to enter without getting an agent first. You see, the big publishing houses will only consider work from those who have an agent. That's why it's so tough to get one. When you have thousands of people all vying for the attention of a small number of agents, things get competitive. Hence the less than 1% success rate. For those of you new to my blog, you can go back and read all my posts about that bumpy road.

Soon we'll begin submitting to publisher's. The big houses responsible for putting books on the New York Times Bestseller list. It's an honor to even be considered by these people. It almost brings tears to my eyes to think that these big-time editors, the people who produce the books I love so much, are even taking the time to consider my story. To give me the chance I've dreamed about all along. I can only hope now that one of them will see the same potential that my agent and I see in The Apollo Academy.

I won't get into too many details from this point forward, but I can tell you this step is going to another road filled with ups and downs--the same rocky road it took to get an agent. Nor do I know if I'll be on this road for two weeks or two years, but at least this time I'm not alone. My agent will be fighting by my side...

In the meantime, I'll be busy with Thomas, being a good wife, resuming responsibilities at Chase Aviation, critiquing manuscripts for all my writer friends, hosting competitions on the blog, reading, and of course writing something new...

5 comments:

  1. I have my fingers crossed for you! It's such a big step, but I've seen your Apollo Academy around, and I think you'll do well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on having a submission-ready manuscript and on having it sent out to editors! It's a scary time, but also so full of hope. Hope you have some good news soon! In the meantime, good luck with your new manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes with your submissions. It's an awesome feeling when you have a manuscript a polished and ready for publishers to read:)

    ReplyDelete