Friday, April 6, 2012

Scary Statistic and Book Trivia

This morning I read a statistic that surprised the heck out of me, so much so that I immediately decided to blog about it.  According to the Gates Foundation 50 million Adult Americans have not read a book in the past 12 months. What?! Is this for real?
I think I’d believe someone telling me that the Skittles commercials were going to come true and that starting tomorrow all future rain showers would instead be Skittle showers. To me that statistic above is as shocking and unbelievable as Skittle showers! (though skittle showers would be way awesome)
But I shouldn’t make light of that number.  How can we expect our children to read when this many adults are not reading anymore?  Before I go off on a rant about the importance of reading and all its benefits, I’m going to handle this issue like an educated and scientific adult, by taking a poll.
Please post in the comment section below how many books you’ve read this year and we’ll see how we stand up against this statistic.
And for those of you that are up for a game, figure out what your Book I.Q. is.  (this is just for fun, this is not a real test J)
Below are several quotes from mostly classics, but also a few best sellers. See how many you recognize and if you can identify the book they came from.
1.       “See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand! O that I were a glove upon that hand, That I might touch that cheek!”
2.       “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”
3.       Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood clean from my hand? No, this my hand will rather the multitudinous seas incarnadine, making the green one red.”
4.       “The two men appeared out of nowhere, a few yards apart in the narrow, moonlit lane. For a second they stood quite still, wands pointing at each other's chests: then, recognizing each other, they stowed their wands beneath their cloaks and set off, side by side, in the same direction.”
5.       “I'm not going to tell the story the way it happened. I'm going to tell it the way I remember it.”
6.       “Alpha children wear grey. They work much harder than we do, because they're so frightfully clever. I'm awfully glad I'm a Beta, because I don't work so hard. And then we are much better than the Gammas and Deltas. Gammas are stupid. They all wear green, and Delta children wear khaki. Oh no, I don't want to play with Delta children. And Epsilons are still worse. They're too stupid to be able to read or write. Besides they wear black, which is such a beastly color. I'm so glad I'm a Beta."
7.       “May the odds be over in your favor.”
8.       “Winter is coming.”
Score:
Less than 1 correct answer…. Go grab a book right now and start reading immediately, I mean it!
2-3 correct…Yay, you either paid attention in school or you are at least reading the current best sellers list.
4-5 correct…good job, give yourself a pat on the back
6-7 correct…Bookaholic
8 correct…you are a literary genius!
Answers: 1.Romeo and Juliet 2. Pride and Prejudice 3.Macbeth 4.Harry Potter 5.Great Expectations 6.Brave New World 7. The Hunger Games 8. A Game of Thrones

4 comments:

  1. Roughly a 110 books a year for me. I'm kicking this statistics a**!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read three books so far over the past 12 months and am currently reading two more. This is HUGE for me. I've read like 15 books total in my life. As for the quotes... I got the first one, seven and eight... mostly because I watched the movies though. May the odds forever be in YOUR favor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Kimberly inherited her love of book reading from me. I received my Kindle December 2010 and have read 117 books on it. I have also read many other hardcover books during that time so not sure of the exact number.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably average about 25 books a year. Summer not so many, except for the Sizzler that you have to read at the beach! too many other things to do and so little time in Western New York.

    ReplyDelete